Monday, March 11, 2013

How to create a calming, soothing home | // NATURALS

// NATURALS is the collection I'm currently working on for the BODIE and FOU SS/2013 catalogue... 
Its a collection that I wanted gentle, calming and authentic.
I've always been drawn to textures and natural materials but having gone through two bereavements early this year, I wanted our life in general just to be a bit more gentle and easy on us. 
So how do I bring gentleness to our home and our lives?

{AT HOME}
I favour fabrics and materials that have integrity and for me, it means something made of stonewashed linens, cotton, concrete, wood or bamboo, something tactile and soothing like a piece of drift wood picked up on my favourite beach in New-Zealand, soft bed linens to curl up in bed, homemade food prepared with Mila...It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to make you feel good and calm inside.
For instance, each time I travel to a beach around the world, I bring back some sand for my mum which she then displays in pretty, vintage bottles.
{WITH MY FAMILY}
We have tech-free weekends... No iPad, no iPhone, no TV except for the family movie on Sunday evening and we replace everything by a long walk in the park with Lucas our dog, sharing a meal with friends, going to see an exhibition, making the day special as a family. We all agree upfront so we know that that specific weekend will be about quality time. It wouldn't work for us to do it every weekend because there is often a rugby match that Steve would like to watch and I do most of my readings (blogs & interior mags) online now but nonetheless talking about it, made us more aware of what we need to do and I think has made our family more gentle. I know I'm a lot more appreciative of all the things Steve does for me, for our family.
{FOR MY BODY}
Still work in progress on this one...I don't eat as organic as my mind would like to but that's because I don't cook but I do start the day with a lot of healthy drinks: a glass of freshly squeezed lemon + a green tea with a spoon of Matcha + a porridge/or brown toasts and I tried to drink at least 2 Lt of water.
And tonight, I'm starting Bikram Yoga again and I'm late so I leave you but I would love to know what you do to create a calming, soothing home.


0 comments:

Post a Comment