Monday, February 3, 2014

How to create an effortless, stylish, natural look at home


 Natural home, de-clutter, Textures
 Natural home, de-clutter, Textures

While I truly enjoyed my time in Paris last week, I can't tell you how happy I was to come home. Mila had finally finished the lego camping van she received at Christmas and which had occupied 50% of our lounge since then and our feel-good, relaxing lounge was returned to its former glory.

Over the Christmas holidays, I received several emails from people asking me how I make white working in our family home. Well, here are few pointers....
1/ De-clutter regularly
And I mean regularly. Not just when Spring comes or when we are about to move. I de-clutter each month, taking bags to charity shops, putting things on Ebay, Instagram, or recycling.
2/ Use white waterproof paint
I use Pure white paint for kitchens & bathrooms. As the paint is waterproof, any smudges can be just wiped off. It's a bit more expensive than the average paint but in the long run, it will save you lots of emotional breakdowns and will turn out to be less high-maintenance :-)
3/ Add textures
In the bedrooms, I use stonewashed linen for its eco-friendly properties and softness and personnally, I'd rather have two linen duvet covers than 6 cotton ones from Ikea for instance. In the lounge, I use rugs to add textures to a room. Cotton, seagrass or jute rugs like these ones add a wonderful, natural feel.
4/ Mix vintage and contemporary ceramics
From my travels, I bring back things that I know will fit with the style of my home rather than the typical touristy thing. I recently brought back a beautiful jug from Copenhagen and a black dish from New-Zealand which are now displayed & used in our kitchen.
5/ Eat healthily
I'm far from being Nigella in the kitchen but I do believe there is a connection between what we eat and how we feel, not just how we look. I collect chopping boards, display super foods (quinoa, rice, oats) in vintage glass jars, have fresh flowers and generally, try to bring a positive, relaxed vibe in the kitchen.

Do you have any tips that you would like to share to achieve a natural look at home? Or perhaps there is a specific detail about the photos I share that inspires you?

*This post was in association with Argos. Thank you for your support ❤️

//Credits: 1. Utsuwa Kenshin 2. White stool | François Köng 3. Unknown | 4. Femke Patsijn | 5. French Connection Home | 6. Hannah Lemholt

Sharing is caring ❤️ Leave a comment and let's have a chat...


0 comments:

Post a Comment