Friday, March 22, 2013

4 Benefits to Adding More Natural Light to your Home


This winter is SOOOO long here in the UK. I'm day-dreaming of the Summer sun on my skin, looking tanned, healthy, happy...anyone else feeling the same? 
I read this article on the BBC the other day that highlighted how being exposed to sunlight daily is good for our health, both mentally and physically. I often think that adding natural light to your home is a key design concept that many people overlook. Light can be the difference between making a room look airy and elegant over one that looks unwelcoming and even dingy. 



In our kitchen, half of the ceiling has been replaced by roof lights and I can't tell you how much of a positive difference it makes to this room where we spend a lot of time as a family. 
While I wouldn’t even consider having a bedroom or living room that didn’t let in as much sunlight as possible, I find that natural light adds a dimension to the design of your home that cannot be created with artificial lighting alone.


























































So, as I'm on a "healthier home/healthier mind/healthier body campaign", here are four reasons why you should think of natural light has been essential to your home & your well-being.

{It makes a room look more spacious}
One of my tricks for making our lounge (above pic) look more spacious, was to strip down the walls from clutter and letting in lots of natural light. I used white on all the walls and added uplifting & soothing colours with accessories like this yellow linen throw or bed linens like in these bedrooms styled with blue I posted last week.


{It keeps us happy}
I think I mentioned this before but I suffer from SAD syndrome and I know I'm not the only one. So for me, it is vital to get sunlight especially through winter to keeping healthy and happy. Even if you’re not a sufferer, almost everyone feels mentally better when exposed to natural light. On top of helping you to feel good and positive, sunlight also contains vitamins (like Vitamin D), which the body needs to remain healthy. 


{It's good for the environment}
As well as improving your health, a home filled with natural light is also better for the environment. By decreasing your reliance on artificial lighting, you are cutting down on the electricity you need and ultimately the amount of energy your home uses.


{It creates a calming environment}
A home filled with natural light somehow feels calm and relaxing. You know as much as I do that everyday life can be stressful, trying to juggle work, families and social lives - it can sometimes get a bit much. So there is nothing better than having a calming place to return to at the end of the day where you can just chill out.

// Photo 1: Sukka in Amsterdam | photo 2: Our home in London Styling: me, Photography: Francois Kong

0 comments:

Post a Comment